A Little Bit About Us
- Invest in Students' Lives - Our instructors strive to be available and intentional about building into students’ lives both in physical training and personal character.
- Build a Culture of Community - That all would invest in the community of martial artists and families through events, meals, celebrations and parties.
- Charity - Our martial arts community freely gives our time and money, expecting nothing in return through events, scholarships, sponsorships, etc.
- Fun - Both in classes and events, have fun with training!
- Become Lifetime Learners - The leadership of the organization will foster a commitment to a lifetime of learning through many different martial art styles and approaches.
- Education for Healthy Living - Instructors will equip students with tools to be physically healthy in all respects and demonstrate the passion and drive to be so as well.
The primary discipline we teach is Okinawan Karate but we have also integrated additional arts (Jujitsu, Okinawan Weapons, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jujitsu, etc.). Our karate system begins with a standardized, core track, comprised of Okinawan Karate and some Jujitsu. Students training for black belt at New Star Martial Arts are only required to study the core track. Students who wish to train in additional tracks are free to specialize their training at advanced ranks.
The advanced tracks that we offer are:
- Advanced Kicks - From our Tae Kwon Do background, these kicks involve spinning, jumping, and aerial execution, requiring a high level of flexibility, dexterity and strength. This track is available to advanced students of all ages.
- Advanced Kata - Quantity and difficulty drive this advanced track including kenpo, tae kwon do and kobujitsu katas. This track is available to advanced students of all ages.
- Self Defense - Deriving material from Kenpo, Jujitsu, Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu, and Aikido this track includes advanced throws, ground fighting, and knife self defense. This track is reserved for adult students only.
- Sparring - In the advanced track sparring, the lines blur between simple sparring and fighting. Curriculum includes fighting that goes to the ground, fighting multiple opponents and heavy contact fighting. This track is reserved for adult students only.
Started training at the age of 12, in Taekwondo, under Jeff Yeagley (at the Academy of Fighting Arts). After many years doing
Taekwondo, decided to train in Okinawan Karate, under Dan Kennedy (at Lenexa Karate Academy).
Currently holds the following ranks:
- 5th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo - Under Jeff Yeagley
- 6th Degree Black Belt in Okinawan Kenpo - Under Dan Kennedy
- 6th Degree Black Belt in Okinawan Kobujitsu - Under Dan Kennedy
- 6th Degree Black Belt in Jujitsu - Under Dan Kennedy
Marc is married and has three beautiful daughters. He works at Mechanical Breakdown Protection, Inc. (MBPI) as a Software Architect / Developer. When he's not spending time with the family, or doing martial arts, he enjoys exercising and almost anything outside.
Chris began training in tae kwon do in 1996. Earning his 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do in 2013, he also has a 1st degree black belt in Okinawan kenpo and is currently working toward his black belt in Japanese jujitsu. Chris is married and has two beautiful little girls. He has been the Worship Arts Director at Lakeland Community Church since finishing his bachelor's degree in music education, with a K-12 teaching certificate. In his spare time, Sensei Lea enjoys camping, herpetology, and an undying devotion to the Kansas City Royals.